After a week of gleaning from several podcast episodes, this was the best episode based on its takeaways.
The primary goal of PodcastTakeAways.com is to help listeners choose podcasts by providing information before they even listen to an episode. This will help them assess which one will provide them with maximized learning and enjoyment.
The Podcast Episode of the Week winner is:
This Is Your Life Podcast EP57: Why you must confront seemingly indispensable but disrespectful members
In this episode, host of This is Your Life Podcast Michael Hyatt, discussed a very important matter every team must pay attention to especially if they are aiming for success.
Every growing partnership or organization will inevitably face conflicts with its members. This podcast will help listeners learn why you MUST CONFRONT seemingly INDISPENSABLE BUT DISRESPECTFUL MEMBERS.
Michael says, “Confrontation is never easy, but is essential for creating a healthy organizational culture.”
“As a leader, what do you do when you have an employee or a colleague who disrespects you in front of your team? What do you do when this employee is a top performer and one of your supervisor’s favorites?”
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
FIVE ACTION STEPS IN RETAINING YOUR CREDIBILITY WHILE BEING AN EFFECTIVE LEADER:
ACTION #1: GET CLEAR IN YOUR OWN THINKING.
– Take some time to reflect.
- Consult a trusted adviser.
ACTION #2: COUNT THE COST.
– Be willing to put your whole well being at risk.
” If you have something negative to someone, speak with him in person. Second option is by phone but never through an email or text.”
ACTION #4: CONFRONT THE DISRESPECTFUL EMPLOYEE.
– No exceptions and excuses. Never tolerate disrespectful behavior.
“These are not easy conversations, but these uneasy situations will define your leadership.”
ACTION #5: GIVE THE EMPLOYEE SOME TIME TO THINK.
– Affirm the employee first.
– Make them come to a decision.
A FEW QUESTIONS DISCUSSED FROM LISTENERS
- How to work harmoniously with someone from a different culture.
- How to deal with a disrespectful co-worker when your team leader is not yet aware of the situation.
- How can I overcome the fear caused by intimidating conversations like this?
- How to confront disrespectful older people, relatives, and team members who are closely related to my boss.
- How to confront disrespectful unpaid volunteers.
MY BIGGEST TAKEAWAY!
“You can’t develop people and take them to the next level unless you are willing to speak into their lives. Take courage in doing it — for their benefit and for your team.”
- “Culture is ultimately shaped by the behavior of the leaders.”
- “And either way, whether you chicken out and let the behavior slide, or confront it head on, it will affect your reputation with your team, your boss, and yourself.”
- David Ramsey Show
- Launch Conference
- Post: How to Launch a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog in 20 Minutes or Less