After a week of gleaning from podcast episodes, this is the best episode based on its takeaways.
The primary goal of PodcastTakeAways.com is to help listeners choose podcasts by providing information before they even listen to an episode. This will help them assess which one will provide them with maximized learning and enjoyment.
The Podcast Episode of the Week winner is:
Business of People in Leadership Podcast: Interview with Laura Mathis
In this episode, Jonathan Jarrell, host of jonathanjarrell.com invites Laura Mathis to the show!
Laura is a public speaker who is known for using acting elements in honing public speaking skills. She is also an excellent public speaking coach and a trainer. Laura is the author of the book Acting Skills for Lawyers which was published by the American Bar Association. She was also the founder of Sol Acting Academy, a school for film and theater acting which produced a number of Hollywood actors.
It is a vital aspect in business that we know how to be a good communicator to our clients and/or to our target markets.
Let’s learn from this episode as Laura talks about the techniques that make up a competent public speaker and the benefits it may bring to our business!
Here’s what you’ll learn from this episode:
- Techniques in making an interesting and a “catchy” speech.
- The importance of preparation before you speak in public.
- How to make a speech that would get the audiences’ attention.
- Steps in constructing a speech:
( Research - Prepare slides or other visual presentations- Rehearse )
- Do’s and don’ts in using slide presentations.
- Understanding the impact of public speaking to your audience.
- How the audience watches every move and speech of the public speaker.
- Overcoming nervousness in public speaking.
- How to be confident in delivering your speech.
- The importance of having passion in public speaking.
- How to have a remarkable stage presence.
- How to bring back the attention of your audience when they get bored:
- Remind your audience why they are there.
- Don’t drown your audience with too much information.
- Make a connection with your audience.
- The need for a leader to learn public speaking.
- Feeling and owning the moment when you are speaking in front of the crowd.
- Ways to improve in public speaking.
- Knowing and taping to your strengths.
- Working on your areas of opportunities.
- Having an appropriate and a variety of vocal tones.
- Proper execution of body gestures.
- Laura’s worst clients.
- Laura talks about her public speaking workshops.
- Laura talks about her experience with TEDx.
MY BIGGEST TAKEAWAY!
In public speaking, the best way to manage nervousness is to be prepared!
- Know your material, rehearse out loud, go to the venue, set up the power point, consider the answers to the questions that may be asked - all of these things will build your confidence in public speaking.
- TEDx -Program designed to help communities, organizations and individuals to spark conversation and connection through local TED-like experiences.
- Book: Acting Skills for Lawyers by Laura Mathis
- Sol Acting Academy – a school for film and theater acting
- Jonathanjarell.com (Laura Mathis -Presentations)
- Podcast episode: Laura Mathis on iTunes
- Visit Laura’s website: www.lauramathis.com
- Laura’s Twitter account @TheLauraMathis