In this episode, host of Starve the Doubts, Jared Easley, invites Bob Burg to the show! Bob is the author of Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion – a how-to-book stuffed with real life stories that provide principles on how to influence people and win them over to your side.
Aside from being known as a bestselling author for his other books, Bob is also as an international seminar speaker, relationship marketing authority, free marketing advocate, lover of liberty, and seeker of wisdom. Indeed, Bob is a man who has great passion for influencing people.
Let’s learn in this episode as Bob Burg talks about dealing with people the right way as well as managing your emotion. These make a good starting point in becoming a great “influencer”!
Here’s what you’ll learn from this episode:
- The potential questions that may lead to misunderstanding.
- Who are the people with people skills.
- We are all driven by our emotions.
“As human beings we are emotional creatures. To a certain extent we are logical. But mostly, we are all emotion-driven.”
- Taking over your emotions rather than allowing it to control you.
“By all means take your emotions along for the ride but make sure YOU are driving the car.”
- Technical Skills versus People Skills
- How to handle your boss with technical skills but lacks people skills.
- Handling situations properly today and in the future leads to a long lasting success
- Control your emotions.
- Understand the clash of belief systems.
- Acknowledge their ego.
- Set the proper frame.
- Communicate with tact and empathy.
- Being able to say “NO” when you want to say no
- No for defensiveness, show more kindness and politeness – then surely you will not get into trouble when you say No!
MY BIGGEST TAKEAWAY!
Influence is not really about us, it’s about other people.
- Have short chapters in writing books – the shorter the better.
- Influencers don’t “push.” Great influencers “PULL” and attract people to their idea.
- Make several studies of people skills.
- Tact is the language of strength. We need this in correcting people.
- Book: “Adversaries into Allies” by Bob Burg
- Book: “Influence” by Robert Cialdini
- Book: “How To Win Friends And Close People” by Dale Carnegie
- Go Givers International Membership Community – a community where people learn how to communicate their value in the market place while being able to have more fun and profit.
- Starve the Doubts Episode: 071 –Bob Burg –Adversaries and Allies
- Bob Burg’s website: www.bobburg.com
- Bob’s Twitter account: @bobburg