Christina Canters is the host of Design Draw Speak – a show dedicated to help people enhance their communication and presentation skills. Christina aims to guide everyone to be confident and creative communicators. We all know that communication is a vital tool in every growing industry – and we are just about to learn the blueprint of it!
In this episode, Christina gave guides on how to take your audience into a journey by making your presentations a whole lot engaging and remembering!
Here’s what you’ll learn from this episode:
- Your presentation is the journey where your audience goes along for a ride!
- Journey: the presentation
- Passengers: your audience
- Man in the driver’s seat: YOU
- How to make your audience pay attention
“You want to make them feel relatively comfortable.”
Four ways to become a kick-ass tour guide!
- Tell them where you’re going. (What’s the end result? Is it a work in progress?)
- Talk about your design process of the end result.
- Show your audience the destination of your presentation.
- Tell them what you need to tell them.
- Tell the audience how long you’ll take.
3. Don’t leave your audience stranded
“Make them feel you’re there. Don’t run away from your audience.”
- Bring your audience along with you.
- Keep up with your audience by not throwing too much information.
- Check if you have not lost anyone.
- Gauge if people are still with you.
4. Add some surprises to your journey.
“Make your journey a bit fun and exciting!
- Add random facts to your presentation – but not too much.
- Christina’s challenge for the week: Practice giving clear time indications.
- Make sure you stick with the time indicators.
( Ex: Do you have 5 mins. to do this? Can we chat for just 10 mins.?)
“Do what you say you’ll do and they’ll most likely give you their time next time.”
MY BIGGEST TAKEAWAY!
“Your presentation is a journey where you want to take your audience for a great ride!”
- Nail on working with just one task at a time and keep working on it until you got it all right.
- Add sign posts in your presentation to show the audience where you’re at.
- Set expectations: Inform your audience about the time frame of your presentation.
- Design Draw Speak Episode 2: Take them on a journey
- www.designdrawspeak.com/story : Record and share your story to the show!
- Christina Canter’s Twitter account: @cjcanters