After a week of gleaning through podcast episodes, this is the best episode based on its takeaways.
The primary goal of PodcastTakeAways.com is to help listeners choose podcasts by providing information before they even listen to an episode. This will help them assess which one will provide them maximized learning and enjoyment.
The Podcast Episode of the Week winner is:
In this episode, host of This is Your Life Podcast Michael Hyatt talks about HOW TO DEVELOP MORE DISCIPLINE.
Most of us are struggling to maintain our New Year’s Resolution of changing things—how we act and how we think. Michael encourages everyone who struggles in discipline not to give up because today we will learn 5 Helpful Specific Steps of Improving Discipline!
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
“Everybody knows that you can’t succeed without discipline.”
Question from Andy Anderson:
“Can you make yourself do something you don’t really want to do in order to get a result you really want?”
- Focusing on the result you really want!
- GOAL SETTING
FIVE SPECIFIC STEPS IN DEVELOPING DISCIPLINE
1) DETERMINE YOUR GOAL!
-Know what you really want
-Be specific and intentional in your VISION
T- Time bound
-Keep your goals few in number. Focus on a goal!
2) LIST YOUR REASONS
-ASK WHY this goal is important
-LIST BOTH POSITIVE and NEGATIVE REASONS
-WRITE your list for each goal—CONNECT with them emotionally
-LIST IMPORTANT reasons for YOU
-ASK WHAT is at stake?
“Figuring out the Why makes the What so much easier!”
3) IDENTIFY LIKELY OBSTACLES
-ANTICIPATE obstacles and BUILD STRATEGIES to overcome them!
-WRITE down at least ONE SPECIFIC STRATEGY FOR EACH OBSTACLE
Obstacle: Mindlessly eating for lunch what you always eat. Going into the default mode and not being able to think through it.
Strategy: Plan where and what you’re gonna eat before leaving your house.
(More examples when you listen in the podcast).
“Don’t plan at the moment because it’s too easy to give in to your default response… To give in to the impulse of the moment. You’ve got to be more INTENTIONAL, more STRATEGIC. ”
4) DEVELOP NEW BEHAVIORS
-ASK, What are the POSITIVE NEW BEHAVIORS you want to develop to replace the old negative behaviors that you’re trying to get rid of?
-NEVER let the body tell the mind what to do!
-The body is always tired in the morning, afternoon and midnight, but THE BODY IS NEVER TIRED WHEN THE MIND IS NOT.
“Now if you’re only going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body.” -George Patten
- THE IMPORTANCE OF KEEPING YOUR MENTAL FOCUS
- FOCUSING SELF-CONTROL AND BEHAVIOR
- EARN THE POWER OF INCREMENTAL CHANGE OVERTIME
***A Few Helpful Tips in LOSING WEIGHT!
- Eat healthy snacks! (almonds, celery, or carrots)
- Replace the unhealthy stuff
- Eat half the normal serving
- Choose simple grilled fish rather than beef or chicken
5) STAY FOCUSED!
-READ your goals DAILY
-REVIEW YOUR REASONS why
-WORK on your new behavior
“If you get off track, DON’T BEAT YOURSELF”
“Sometimes it’s 3 steps forward 2 steps back.
- THE IMPORTANCE OF CONSTANTLY RESTARTING
“At the end of the day, it’s not about what you accomplish but it’s what you are becoming. It takes adversity to change our character.”
- DISCIPLINE IS NOT REALLY ABOUT WILL POWER, IT’S FOCUSING ON WHAT YOU REALLY WANT
***QUESTION and ANSWER:
- Rebecca: The difference of lack of discipline and a legitimate need for rest.
- Answer: REST IS A PRIORITY, listen to your body and to everybody.
- Brand: Developing multiple passion or one at a time
- Answer: FOCUS ON A HANDFUL
- Aslan: Steps and discipline in implementing a habit
- Answer: FOCUS ON THE RESULT OF THE DISCIPLINE, CONNECT to it emotionally.
- Derek: Allowing grace for discipline but keeping away from Pharisaic discipline
- Answer: SELF CONTROL IS A FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT – 1 Corinthians 9:27
- Julie: Discipline in writing prolifically
- Answer: WRITE FOR YOUR AUDIENCE’S SAKE; SHIFT IDENTITY, SCHEDULE writing.
- Tessa: The importance of discipline for novice writers
- Answer: TAKE DISCIPLINE MORE THAN JUST TALENT
- Paul: Staying more focused on the accomplishing the intentional plans you’ve set.
- Answer: USE A DAILY TASK LIST
- Todd: Managing discipline when exhausted
- Answer: GET A GOOD REST. SCHEDULE it! Get more margin in your life
- Victor: The keystone habit for spiritual life
- Answer: CONSISTENT, STILLNESS….pray, read bible, and write on a journal
**Michael Hyatt’s CLINCHER QUESTION for all who wants to have more discipline… “Where do you need more discipline? What do you need to do next to cultivate it?”
MY BIGGEST TAKEAWAY!
“Your Life is a Gift…. Now Go Make it Out!”
- “Focus on a number of behaviors you want to change, not a bunch of behaviors.”
- “Don’t try to change too many things at once.”
- “The really important things in life happen outside of your comfort zone.”
- “It’s alright, get up! Get over this!”
- Book: Platform
- Book: “The Lure of Art “by Steven Pressfield
- Book: The power of the Habit
- USA Today
- Wall Street Journal
- Calendar triage
- Self Hosted WordPress Blog